Health & Fitness Tips
Top 10 Reasons For Weight Loss Failure
10. Skipping Breakfast
9. Eating Nutritionally Empty Foods: Potato Chips (even organic), White Rice, White Bread, Eating too many “low fat” snacks in one seating.
8. Drinking the Calories. Example: Alcoholic beverages, Soda, High Sugar Juice, Flavoured and Sweet Coffee and Lattes, High Energy Drinks…
7. Eating High Calorie foods and large portions
6. Boredom Eating
5. Eating only Carbohydrates for Breakfast. Example: Yogurt and Fruits, Pancakes, Poptarts, Cereals (even organic). It’s best to add protein to every meal.
4. Not eating much on weekdays and catching up on the weekend.
3. Unconscious eating and snacking
2. Not getting enough sleep.
1. Skipping Meals
Fat isn't the enemy – at least not all fats. Healthy fats help you manage your moods, give you mental focus, fight fatigue, and even control your weight. Follow these tips to increase your healthy fat intake.
1. Eat fish twice a week, especially salmon, herring or mackerel. Avoid frozen breaded products made with hydrogenated oil.
2. Sprinkle 2 tsp (10 mL) ground flaxseeds on your cereal or yogurt a few times a week.
3. Use olive or canola oil in salad dressing.
4. Occasionally sprinkle walnuts, almonds or peanuts over salads, add them to baking or eat as a fast snack.
6. Occasionally add an avocado to your salad. It's a great source of monounsaturated fat, which is linked to a reduced risk of breast cancer.
7. Buy omega-3 eggs, which come from hens fed on flaxseed. They contain 7 to 12 times more omega-3 than regular eggs.
Always use a grocery list.
Never shop when you’re hungry to avoid impulse buying!
Shop around the outside aisles of your grocery store. No, I do not mean over there in the bakery department, but the meat, fruit and Vegetable areas are always on the outside aisles. If you keep 80 % of your shopping on the outside aisles you are going to be way ahead of the game!
Top 9 Reasons Why Strength Training is Beneficial to Women
1. Increases Metabolism to assist weight management and Reduce or limit the loss of lean muscle mass as you get older.
2. Helps improve body composition, i.e. more muscle and less fat at the same body weight.
3. Improved function and ease of movement with increase
4. Increased bone density prevents the onset of osteoporosis.
5. It helps improve circulation, coordination, balance, as well as bone and ligament strength
6. Improved overall mental and physical health.
7. A stronger body is less likely to suffer from injury.
8. Helps develop a balanced, well-proportioned physique.
9. Improved self-esteem and a sense of personal empowerment.
Size Does Matter!
To reach and maintain a healthy weight, it’s essential that you’re eating proper portion sizes. But how can you be sure you’re eating the right amounts without weighing and measuring your food all the time?
Here’s an easy way to get the job done. All you need is the ability to count to two and your own hand!
Here’s how it works:
Your palm determines your protein portions.
Your fist determines your veggie portions.
Your cupped hand determines your carb portions.
Your thumb determines your healthy fat portions.
Best of Lean protein foods
Chicken Breast: provides about 8 g protein per oz. Look for boneless skinless chicken breasts, as the majority of chicken fat is in and around the skin.
Lean Beef: In addition to being full of protein, beef is also a good source of B vitamins and iron. However, many consider red meat unhealthy because of high saturated fat content and added hormones. Therefore, when shopping for beef, look for leaner cuts like top round, top sirloin, and flank steak. A general guideline is to look for a minimum 2 g protein to 1 g fat ratio. For ground beef, buy 90 percent lean or leaner. Also, whenever possible buy grass fed beef because this meat contains additional omega-3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), both healthy types of fat.
Salmon, tuna and shrimp are just a few sources of seafood lean protein sources.
An egg consists of a white and a yolk. The white is a fast digesting protein while the yolk contains fat and cholesterol in addition to protein. By removing the yolk, you can eliminate a vast majority of the calories present in the egg without sacrificing all the protein content. Egg whites are available by the carton as well as in whole eggs.
Also high in fiber, beans are one of the rare plant sources of complete protein (containing all essential amino acids). There are a variety of bean types that provide similar nutritional benefits, including navy, pinto and black beans.
For individuals who have a difficult time getting the appropriate amount of protein from whole food, protein powder is a convenient alternative. Protein powder can come from a variety of sources, including whey, casein, egg, soy and hemp. To select the type that is right for you, recognize that whey and casein are dairy sources and may cause gastrointestinal discomfort.
Drinking Lemon Water
One of the most substantial yet simple change you can make for your health is lemon water! Check out what it does for your body:
1. Boosts your immune system
2. Is an excellent source of potassium, which is good for your brain & nerve function.
3. Aids digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract, and helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, burping, and bloating.
4. Cleanses your system and flushes out the toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function, and stimulating your liver.
5. Freshens your breath and It also helps relieve toothaches and gingivitis.
6. Keeps your skin blemish-free and decreases wrinkles too! It can also be applied to scars and age spots to reduce their appearance, and because it’s detoxifying your blood, it will maintain your skin’s radiance.
7. Helps you lose weight and helps fighting hunger cravings.
8. Reduces inflammation by decreasing the acidity in your body, which is where disease states occur and removes uric acid in your joints, which is one of the main causes of inflammation.
9. Gives you an energy boost.
10. Helps to cut out caffeine.
11. Helps fight viral infections and their subsequent sore throats.